You are viewing this site in staging mode. Click in this bar to return to normal site.

Farm Diversification – You have an amazing idea but where do you start?

14 October 2019 10:53

Farm diversification helps traditional farms to branch out into other aspects of income, to either boost their normal farming income or to replace it.

As a starting point there are a few things to consider before making the first move into diversification.

  • Do you have unused farm buildings or resources? Could you put your existing farm assets to good use?
  • Local demand – is your farm near an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, a tourist destination, major landmark etc? For example, if you are considering a Glamping site, is there any nearby that are successful or is there a high demand for more holiday lets near you.  Study the competition and try to find a niche that makes your business venture stand out.
  • Your skills and expertise are a major factor in making a rural enterprise a success. We all know that a new business will entail extra hours and effort, so forward planning and listing ideas for your farm makes perfect sense including doing plenty of research.  Have a clear idea of your objectives going forward.
  • It is important that you consider all aspects of your proposed new venture. Look at what your Local Plan says about your area. What impact could it have on neighbours, local amenities, conservation areas, wildlife, Green Belt, noise and pollution, traffic and road structures.
  • Grant Aid – financial assistant is available for farmers seeking to diversify into other business areas, such as leisure and tourism and glamping sites. This is available from several sources.  Davies and Co. can advice you on potential grants and funding opportunities as part of our rural diversification service.
  • Planning Permission – planning permission may not be required for the use of land and existing buildings for agricultural operations, although notifying your local Council is necessary for new farm buildings and structures. Planning Permission is required for projects that diversify the use of the farmland and buildings for non-agricultural activities.

Our rural diversification specialists can provide in-depth professional advice and services tailored to the needs of your farm or land.  Whether its for leisure and tourism or glamping/farmhouse accommodation, we are here to help make the transition simpler and smoother.

Please contact Davies & Co on 01536 524808, email or visit