You are viewing this site in staging mode. Click in this bar to return to normal site.

Our Articles & News Letters

  • Agricultural Permitted Development Limits Raised

    Housing Minister Dominic Raab has announced changes to Permitted Development Rights for the conversion of agricultural buildings into residential dwellings (Class Q), and for new agricultural buildings. These changes are due to come into force on April 6th this year. The change allows for up to 5 new homes to be created from the conversation of an existing agricultural building, rather than the current maximum of 3. The amended development rights allow for: up to 3 larger homes within a
  • Class Q Planning (Agricultural to Residential) Update

    The Government has introduced a change to Class Q permitted development rights in February 2018, providing further clarity on the works allowable. Class Q, covering the conversion of agricultural property to residential dwellings, was introduced in 2014. The original wording focused mainly on external alterations, however, leaving internal renovations open to debate and interpretation. Because of this, many councils were denying applications made under Class Q which required internal structural changes to support or create additional floors. The new guidance
  • NPPF Draft Updates Planned for Spring

    Steve Quartermain, The Chief Planner for the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) has stated in a letter to local authorities that the government plans to publish a draft revised National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) before Easter. The NPPF revisions are to include planning reforms from the housing White Paper, the Planning for the Right Homes in the Right Places consultation, and announcements from the Autumn Budget.
  • The Glamping Show 2017

    Barry Davies had a full house for his talk on securing planning permission at the Glamping Show on September 22nd 2017. He concluded: Environment/Highways - negotiate before application Market research - look at need and unmet demand Know the planning policy that supports your development Communicate early with local ward councillor and parish council Monitor the application Read the planning officers report very carefully - planning conditions - negotiate Always attend the planning committee meeting Be prepared for the application to be refused
  • How to Secure Planning Permission for a Leisure Attraction - Farm Business Innovation 2017

    Our own Barry Davies will be giving advice at Farm Business Innovation 2017 on "Change of Use Farm to Leisure Attraction – Planning Permission and Rates – Avoid the Pitfalls!" Barry will be speaking about how to secure planning permission for a Leisure Attraction. Farm Business Innovation 2017 have invited Barry to speak because of his extensive experience in this field and the success that he has in helping businesses to gain planning permission. To find out more visit the
  • Why Should I sell my property as tenanted rather than with Vacant Possession?

    Regaining possession of a protected tenancy under the Rent Act may not be achievable for many years, and with rental incomes well below current market levels, selling a tenanted property can not only release capital it is a strait forward process with exceptionally low costs. If your property does become vacant then you may well be able to ask a higher price but purchasers may well be looking to chip the price and the additional costs of marketing, professional fees
  • How do you introduce a play barn to your attraction?

    As attractions enter the winter months and the damp start to spring, and for some attractions their closed season. The question of what to offer your visitors next year is always challenging and tough decision? One option often considered by many is the introduction of a play barn or indoor play area to offer all year round weather proof fun and enjoyment. If thought about practically and carefully the introduction of a play barn could be your biggest attraction. So
  • A new breed of funding infrastructure!

    Many of you may have or have not heard the phrase - Community Infrastructure Levy commonly known as a CIL… So what is a CIL, simply put it is a charge being introduced on planning permission, when planning permission is required for the development of a building. CIL’s are proposed to aid in the scaling back of s106 agreements and aims to provide a more transparent system of funding infrastructure. It is proposed that a CIL will be
  • About the Campaign for the Farmed Environment (CFE)

    As news is revealed of a voluntary approach to set aside mitigation, we now see the launch of the Campaign for the Farmed Environment (CFE). The schemes main aim is to allow farmers to demonstrate that they are able to undertake voluntary land based measures themselves without any more regulation. The scheme seeks to retain and exceed the environmental benefits that used to be provided by set aside land and actively encourages farmers and landowners to adopt voluntary land management
  • Countryside planning and advice - do you qualify for a brown sign

    Your attraction may be outstanding have all the right component parts for the ideal visitor experience but if people can find you then you could be losing visitors…but how do I get brown signs? There is much confusion over Brown Signs and it is often thought that the local planning authority deals with Brown Signs, this is not the case, any proposal or application for Brown Signs is dealt with by the local highways authority on local roads
  • Find out how to realise capital

    Many farms and estates have redundant farm workers cottages either on the holding or in the surrounding villages occupied by former employees of the holding and many don’t realise that these cottages are actually saleable on the open market despite the property being subject to a statutory tenancy. If you have a redundant farm workers cottage/house and you let it before the 15 January 1989 as part of that workers employment, even if no formal agreement was
  • Options, Overage & Developers

    As the developers arrive in their masses knocking at your door promising you a lifestyle you of wealth and leisure for your traditional farmyard/property or those couple of off lying fields you have near the by bypass, just take a moment to think what some of those mind boggling words actually mean and over what period of time the development is likely to take place? Typically developers or buyers looking to redevelop immediately or in the short term will
  • Convert your farm into an attraction

    Year of Food & Farming could be an Education opportunity! When thinking of raising capital and generating income from redundant farm buildings, an office or storage development seems most appealing. However, as the Year of Food and Farming launches next week, another option brings itself to the table. Creating educational facilities and attractions could prove to be a great opportunity – not just financially – for farmers and landowners. The conversion of buildings or an extension to an existing building
  • Find out about Countryside planning, advice and development

    Green Belts and Braces The original green belt policy established in 1947 seems a far cry from the green belt polices and future proposals being enforced and discussed at present. Green belts were introduced to prevent urban sprawl and provide access and create a definitive boundary between rural and urban areas, and is presently made up of some 14 green belts covering thousands of hectares. We now see proposals for thousands of new homes on green belts and proposals to
  • Investors Remain Strong Despite the Crunch

    Despite the ever emerging credit crunch and declining property market, many farms, estates and private landlords may have an asset still in demand. Many landowners, estates and private landlords have redundant farm workers cottages on the holding or in the surrounding villages occupied by former employees of the holding, and in some cases many do not realise the value of these properties and that they can be sold on the open market despite the property being subject to a statutory